How to measure the returns generated from rental income

Understanding Rental Property Returns: Net Rental Yield and Capital Appreciation

Net Rental Yield

What is Net Rental Yield?

Net Rental Yield is a metric used by real estate investors to measure the profitability and efficiency of rental income from their investment property. This formula takes the annual rental income generated by the property and subtracts all property-related expenses—think maintenance, repairs, property management fees, and insurance. It is important to note that this calculation excludes debt services like mortgage payments.

Calculating Net Rental Yield

To calculate Net Rental Yield, follow this simple formula:

Net Rental Yield = [(Annual Rental Income – Property Expenses) / Property Purchase Price or Market Value] x 100

This result will give you a percentage that represents the yield from your property. For example, a Net Rental Yield of 7% suggests that the property is generating a return of 7% of its purchase price or market value annually, after accounting for expenses.

Why Exclude Debt Services?

You might wonder why mortgage payments are excluded from this calculation. The reason is that Net Rental Yield is meant to assess the property’s performance regardless of how the purchase was financed. Whether you bought the property outright or with a loan, the Net Rental Yield focuses on the property’s own income-generating ability.

Capital Appreciation

The Role of Capital Appreciation

While Net Rental Yield provides a snapshot of the income generated from rent, it doesn’t account for the property’s value growth over time. Capital appreciation refers to the increase in the property’s value from the time of purchase to the current market value. This is an essential factor for long-term investors, as property value appreciation can significantly boost overall returns.

Incorporating Capital Appreciation

To include capital appreciation in your return calculations, simply add the percentage increase in property value to your Net Rental Yield:

Total Return on Investment (ROI) = Net Rental Yield + Capital Appreciation Rate

If the property value has increased by 3% since purchase, and your Net Rental Yield is 7%, your total ROI would be 10%.

A Holistic View of Your Investment

By considering both Net Rental Yield and Capital Appreciation, you can get a holistic view of your investment property’s performance. This dual approach allows you to understand not only the revenue from rent but also the potential for long-term gains through property value increases.

Net Rental Yield is a powerful tool in the

arsenal of any savvy real estate investor

It allows you to analyze the profitability of your rental income in a straightforward way. When augmented with capital appreciation, you’re equipped with a comprehensive understanding of both the current and potential future earnings from your property. Keep in mind, though, that these figures are just part of the larger picture; other factors like market trends, location, and economic indicators also play critical roles in the success of your real estate investment.

Invest wisely and remember, knowledge is the cornerstone of every successful investment!

Team Stradix

Also want to see the Rental Property Returns of Stradix’s Buy-to-let Self-Storage?

Martin Manser

Martin Manser

Leave a Replay

Share this post


Recent Posts

Page Navigations

Follow Us

What we do?

Let's make it happen!